SOLUTIONS to ENVIRONMENTAL CHALLENGES
lie in the optimism and activism of the youth.
WAYS TO HELP
GET YOUR SCHOOL INVOVLED TODAY!
- By using eco friendly water control devices on faucets; it has been found that schools can save up to 43% of their water usage.
- Require that all text books be made from recycled paper. It
has been found that 20% of the book publishing market comes from text books. A savings of
four million trees was estimated annually by this change.
- Asking the school to print announcements and newsletters on both sides of the paper.
Some schools were able to save $10,000 in printing cost by conserving paper.
- Promote use of car pooling and use of buses for students to get to school to conserve fossil fuels. Also, using bicycles to get around is another method of conserving.
- Create a contests for students
to find new ways to conserve energy and materials in their school. Identify incentives that locals may want to participate in.
- Develop a recycling plan for schools, so that all plastics, paper and metal can be sent to recycling facilities which in turn give money back to the school.
- Check with school authorities
to insure that school cleaning fluids and methods are environmentally safe to use.
That they should use green or environmentally safe products.
- Have students get involved with gardens or green areas around the school, this will provide their environment with ways to clean the air.
- At night computers and electronic devices should be turned off to conserve energy. This has been shown to save schools a significant amount of money off their electric bills.
- There are devices that can be installed which turn down overhead lighting when there is significant daylight coming into the room.
REDUCE YOUR C02 IMPACT
Most emissions from homes are from the fossil fuels burned to generate electricity and heat. By using energy more efficiently at home, you can reduce your emissions by more than 30%.
LAWNS & LANDSCAPING
When forests are burned or cut down, their stored carbon is released into the atmosphere. Deforestation accounts for
about 20% of carbon dioxide emissions each year.
Buy organic foods as much as possible. Organic soils capture and store carbon dioxide at
much higher levels than soils from conventional farms. If we grew all corn and soybeans organically, we'd remove 580 billion pounds of carbon
dioxide from the atmosphere!
TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
Together, transportation and producing electricity cause more than 60% of the greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. Almost one third of the carbon dioxide produced in the United States comes from our cars, trucks and airplanes.
RECYCLING & COMPOSTING
You can save 2,400 pounds
of carbon dioxide per year by recycling just half of your household waste.